Before you scroll down further, take a guess - what is this?
Did you guess a face?
Scroll down and see the whole picture... how about now?
It's weird how we're wired to know a face when we see one. In the drawing above, it's a bunch of multi-colored splotches. But we make sense of it as a face...
Computers will never touch that capability. But then they will never mistake a strange pattern on a grilled cheese sandwich for the Virgin Mary either.
ETC: After reading the story and sleeping on it, I knew that I'd heard of GoldenPalace.com before. You see, GoldenPalace.com is an Antigua-based online casino. They bought that grilled cheese sandwich off eBay.
But that's not all that they bought from people selling unusual items on eBay:
And so on...
- Remember the father who sold his kids' Christmas presents on eBay? GoldenPalace.com bought them.
- They bought an "authentic" plate from the Titanic from a homeless man.
- eBay's first "haunted" item, a cane said to be inhabited by a ghost.
- The ex-wife of baseball's Jeff Bagwell sold 30 days of advertising space on her cleavage to GoldenPalace.com.
- A pregnant woman sold the advertising on her belly to the online casino.
Follow the link. They pay less than $100,000 per item and get controversial items that end up in the "Odds and Ends" news around the world. It's relatively free marketing. Genius.
I wonder if they'll buy my art??